I enjoy programming software and managing computers, and I have been doing so since 2002. I am skilled with many of the technologies that power web applications: Linux systems, databases, web applications, and web user interfaces. In other words, I'm a full-stack engineer.
I thrive on solving complex problems, designing simple solutions, and working in a team.
I believe that effective, timely, and respectful communication is a salient trait of every successful software team.
I'm an experienced technology leader with a track record of guiding difficult projects
to successful completion.
I am a strong believer in
Test-Driven Development. I am well versed in
practices, and I
in the open source community.
Lastly, I think that having a sense of humor about stuff helps you not die.
Director of Software Engineering
, St. Paul, MN (November 2016 - present)
- Managed team of 20 or so software engineers and 2 DBAs
- Researched and planned large-scale projects for technology teams
, St. Paul, MN (April 2014 - November 2016)
Senior Software Engineer
- Served as Lead engineer on a Scrum team of four engineers
- Steered technology decisions as member of team leads
- Mentored other engineers
, St. Paul, MN (January 2009 - March 2014)
Senior Web Developer
- Ground-up rewrite of an enterprise web application / message delivery system
- Developed new transactional email, SMS, and voice messaging API
- Developed company-wide analytics system using Kafka
- Worked in a devops team to implement server configuration and provisioning automation using Foreman and Puppet
- Contributed several major features to open-source Oracle ActiveRecord adapter
- Internet Broadcasting Systems
, Minneapolis, MN (December, 2005 - December, 2008)
- Lead UI Developer for NowLocal project (December 2007 - September 2008)
- Lead developer for TheLab, a Flex-based "futures market" on product ideas for internal use
(July 2006 - July 2007). In this position, I led a team of 8 developers on an agile project. I presided
over a successful relaunch of the site.
(2006 Torino Olympics)
using object-oriented practices and test-driven development
- Fisher Real Estate, L.L.L.P.
, Baltimore, MD (May 2002 - December 2005)
Designed, developed, and maintained
Note: link goes to the Internet Archive version of this site; company no longer exists
- Invented an effective strategy for client attraction and lead retention using an opt-in email list and push notifications for new vacancies
- Developed new system for collecting and tracking maintenance requests from tenants
A web application with custom hardware to open my garage door
A simple Ruby library for executing SQL against an Oracle database using Ruby OCI8
ActiveRecord OracleEnhanced Adapter -
I have contributed several features to this ActiveRecord database adapter.
This is a Ruby gem that facilitates connecting and interacting with an Infoblox DNS cluster.
Master of Music
with honors (2003)
Peabody Conservatory of the Johns Hopkins University
Bachelor of Fine Arts,
with honors in Music Composition (2001)
Graduate of Leadership Saint Paul, Class of 2014, Saint Paul Area Chamber of Commerce
Board member of the Academy of Information Technology, part of Saint Paul Public Schools' Career and Technical Education program
web accessibility (508 & RNIB),
open source software,
Ruby on Rails,